DMA-500SV Reference Mono Power Amp
- Spectral Audio commemorates its forty-third year in the high-end audio industry with the introduction of Keith Johnson's new Reference Standard monaural amplifier, the DMA-500SV. The DMA-500SV builds on over forty years of advanced amplifier development at Spectral with our most ambitious design to date. The DMA-500SV reflects the milestone SV technology pioneered in the limited production DMA-500 Anniversay Reference monaural amplifier and is the culmination of years of basic research investment in state-of-the-art new gneration amplifier design. The DMA-500SV brings the unmatched musical realism of the world renowned DMA-500 Anniversary to series production and a wider audience.
- In 2017 Specgtral commemorated its fortieth year with the introduction of the limited series DMA-500 Anniversary Reference monaural amplifier. The 500AR was one of our Target 40 "anniversary" projects with the obvjective of proving Spectral's advanced SV technology and creating a new foundation for high-performance amplifier design. The DMA-500AR has gone on to become one of Spectral's most sucessful and highly regarded products in the company's history and is found in the most ambitious high-performacne systems in concert with the most sophisticated loudspeakers. Today, Keith Johnson's statement & "superamp" is widely considered to be the most transparent and accurate amplifer in the industry.
- For the relative fortunate few that waited to secure one of the limted DMA-500AR pairs, their search for ultimate performance is probably concluded. With the completion of the productiion in 2019, Spectral RS dealers have been relectant to retire the DMA-500AR from active duty without a production successor. The DMA-500 has become a focal point for the top events and demonstrations as well as an essential stool for presentation of their most advanced high-end loudspeakers. Work on the production successor of the DMA-500AR was completed by Keith Johnson and the design team for introduction in 2020. Dealer reaction to the musical presentation of the DMA-500SV Reference Standard amplifiers in the Spectral factory reference system was extremely positive. Based on enthusiastic dealer feedback and high cusomer interest the DMA-500SV was authorized for priority production starting in September 2020.
- I look forward to your experienceing the DMA-500SV in your most serious high-end music system and working with you to improve your Spectral RS system to this new level. We believe the DMA-500SV delivers the uncompromising listening experience Spectral customers expect and represents the high-end aspiration of Spectral Audio brilliantly. Thank you for your continued support and interest in our work. Richard Fryer Spectral Audio
Selected Design Highlights:
- State-of-the-art instrumentation amplifier.
- Fourth generation high resolution design.
- Ultra fast settling circuit architecture.
- Precision RF type layout and topology.
- Focused Array high-speed aligned FET output section.
- Generation 2 SHHA high-speed hybrid driver module features SV technology and custom semiconductor topology.
- Power Vault magnetic field containment system.
- New generation vertical MOS-FET output transistors with innovative servo-bias tracking system.
- Multiple power supply array with independent power supplies and bias adjustment for each output device.
- Non-invasive optical and thermal protection circuits.
- Fully discrete design with balanced monaural operation.
- High current systemboard design with bulk copper technology.
- All modular construction with instrumentation connectors.
- Proprietary ultra-precision Teflon Array film capacitor technology.
- Ultra-low distortion achieves one-part-per-million signal accuracy.
Q&A: The DMA-500SV Reference Standard Monaural Amplifier
2) Why was it created? The DMA-500 Anniversary Reference was a limited production speaialty product built to commemorate the Spectral forty year anniversay and limited to a small number of pairs for exclusive dealers and established clients. But the high demand for the limited availabilty DMA-500AR was never fully satisfied during the official production period and dealer demand required a new production flagship.
3) What are the objectives for the DMA-500SV? The DMA-500 Anniversary Reference has proven the performance advantages of Spectral's SV high-speed technology. In the DMA-500AR proprietary FET devices in custom silicon were developed exclusively for our circuit application in collaboration with Spectral engineers. The original limited device run for the DMA-500AR proved entirely successful, leading to expanded custom production for Spectral today. The first application for these ultra-high performance devices is in the production DMA-500SV monaural amplifier.
4) What are the breakthroughs in the DMA-500SV? The fundamental advantages of the original DMA-500AR are further enhanced and focused in the production DMA-500SV. Spectral engineers developed the first high-speed, wideband audio amplifier circuits for music reproduction 40 years ago. These circuits addressed important time domain and transient distortions in amplifier design for the very first time. Today, the DMA-500SV represents the pinnacle of our high-speed, high-resolution technology with the fastest signal response and the lowest time-based distortion in the audio industry. The DMA-500SV builds on the legacy of the DMA-500 Anniversary with further refinements in passive signal components and improved power supply capacity and performance.
The Teflon revolution began with the DMA-500AR and continues with the DMA-500SV. Our Teflon Array Technology (TAT) introduced in the 500 driver, is further improved in the DMA-500SV. Proprietary Teflon trimmers also replace conductive plastic parts in critical output bias circuits, lowering transient settlling distortion to the lowest levels yet achieved.
The DMA-500AR has proven the remarkable stability and robustness of the SV gain and output sections. With this confidence Spectral engineers have redesigned the DMA-500SV power supply and "opened it up" for increased performance. New transformer designs deliver improved regulation and higher peak current capability to fully realize the absolute potential of the DMA-500 topology.
5) Does the DMA-500SV share components with the DMA-500AR? Although the DMA-500 AR and the DMA-500SV share common chassis designs and general layout, the DMA-500SV features various recently available new components as well as unique power supplies and support metalwork. Input, gain and ouput devices are individually matched by hand on advanced curve-tracing equipment before selected parts are soldered into the curcuit position on the amplifier boards of the DMA-500SV.
6) Who was the DMA-500SV created for? These amplifiers are for the audio connoisseur, primarily established Spectral customers for use in the most sophisticated all-Spectral systems. Due to their extreme high-speed signal operation and ultra-low impedance circuitry, these amplifiers are incompatible with conventional low-speed components from other manufacturers. The DMA-500SV will be warranted for use exclusively in Spectral component systems and installed by the RS dealer.
7) What dealers will be demonstrating the DMA-500SV? Only a select group of our most experienced RS dealers have been chosen to represent the DMA-500SV and will be demonstrating according to factory set-up procedures. These dealers will be factory trained by Spectral and will be installing the DMA-500SV in customer systems as well as overseeing on-site system optimization and fine tuning.
SpeedRise Time less than 225 nanosecondsSettling 28 microseconds to 0 signal noiseSlew Rate1200 volts/microsecond
NoiseSignal to Noise 108 dB ASA ACrosstalkzero Input Impedance 10K ohms Sensitivity 1.5 volts / nominal output
Power SupplyLine Voltage100 volts, 120 volts, 220 volts (internal wiring/factory) AC Voltage Range±10% Maximum Consumption 2000 watts Quiescent Consumption 115 watts Operating Temperature 0 degrees Celsius to +50 degrees Celsius 32 degrees Farenheit to 122 degrees Farenheit Protection FeaturesDC Protection Servo0.5 volt rangeCurrent Limit Onset 90 AmpsThermal ThresholdProtects at 85° Celsius 185° Fahrenheit AC Main Fuse 5A/3AG Slo-Blo @120v Dimensions 20" W 19.6" D 7.25" H Weight Net 72 lbs 34 kg Please note that all of the information and specifications provided herein are subject to change owing to the evolutionary nature of Spectral designs and technology.